Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Photography Class Week 5 - Perspective

Week five in my photography class - I am learning so much and this week was no exception.  This week was about perspective.  Perspective is the spatial relation of objects or the interrelation in which a subject or its parts are mentally viewed.  I am finding many life lessons that correlate to this topic - not just in photography - and it's been very exciting.

For instance, I learned that the only thing that really determines photographic perspective is where you put the camera.  You can stay in one place and "zoom in" or "zoom out" - that but that doesn't change the perspective.  In order to change perspective, you have to move - see things from a different angle, physically get closer or further away.

Our assignment for class was different than in past weeks.  This week we were to focus on one subject at a time and take pictures of that subject from many different vantage points - move around, get high, get low, be creative.  I had a lot of fun, found a new appreciation, and saw some interesting things that I wouldn't have seen if I had used my normal approach.  Just like in life, if we are not willing to modify our perspective, nothing changes; but if we take the time to see things from a different viewpoint, get in closer, or sometimes even take a step back, we learn and grow and develop understanding and compassion.

So I started with one beautiful orchid plant.




I found that when I got really close, I could see the minor flaws.....

But I could also appreciate the beautiful and unique details.

I realized that when I changed my perspective to the back of the flowers, I was able to capture the lovely pink side underneath.












Then I moved my exploration to the mall and started photographing the fountain.  

From afar it's pretty....

Up close, I think it's mesmerizing.







I know it's blurry, but I like it.  Do you, or does it just give you a headache?







In life and in people we often find layers, right?  Sometimes it's fun to see beyond or through.

































So those were my life and photography lessons on perspective this week.  Thanks for coming along.

I'm planning to post six fountain shots for my class submission.  Do you have favorites?

From my world to yours - just a frame away.

-Donna




1 comment:

  1. Capturing a still of quickly moving water. Pretty cool. My fountain favorites: 7, 13, 15, 24, 26

    ReplyDelete